One of Yamaha’s entry level models and also a keyboard that makes the most of the creative design and solid engineering background that has made the manufacturer so appreciated across the world, the Yamaha YPT 240 is a versatile yet affordable keyboard that delivers sound of the highest clarity and crispiness. Most importantly, provides plenty of functionality to make learning to play the queen of all instruments in an efficient, yet fun way. The unit is highly appreciated by advanced players as well – the ample set of features guarantees that you will always find something to try and to learn, whatever your level of playing skills.
General Features that Make the Yamaha YPT 240 so Great
The unit is classified as a portable digital keyboard and it is indeed surprisingly small when you first look at it. Finished in durable and high-quality black plastic, with the interface located in the middle where it is easy to reach, this 61-key unit is less than a meter long (945 mm) and it weighs only about 4 kg. The custom LCD display is easy to read and is surrounded by easy to use and comfortably sized function buttons. Sound quality is guaranteed by the two speakers, 12 cm each and the two amplifiers, each of them of 2.5W, placed on the two opposite ends of the keyboard.
The unit runs either on batteries (six batteries size AA) or on current from a power outlet supplied via the AC adapter. It also comes with great connectivity features – it has a USB outlet and a jack for headphones as well (especially useful for shy players who want to hone on their playing skills before playing their favorite tunes in front of an audience or for those who don’t want to disturb others in the house or in the room).
More Pros that Make the Unit Stand Out
This small, but complex unit comes with lots of other pros as well:
- The YPT 240 is very easy to use, fitted with straightforward functions that even complete beginners can figure out within a few seconds from first opening the box
- It comes with a huge tone and accompaniment bank that allow the player to create a background of various instrument to create the perfect illusion of playing with a band
- It spans 5 octaves when the basic settings are on, but the unit’s interface offers the possibility of adding even more using the provided settings
- The keyboard delivers 385 perfect, natural sound voices
- The 32-note polyphony makes the keyboard suitable not only for beginners, but also for advanced players who want to play complicated pieces and require the best sound
- The provided Master EQ system allows for tailoring the output sound to the actual situation and location the listening takes place
- The Ultra Wide Stereo Technology guarantees great stereo sound in any environment
- The keyboard incorporates Yamaha’s great Education Suite that teaches the user about every aspect of playing the piano correctly. The integrated songs can be played at the speed that suits the player’s skill level and there are lots of other setting options that make playing the same song over and over again more fun than you could ever imagine
- The YPT 240 comes with 102 preset songs and 100 preset styles,
- It also has an integrated metronome and the tempo range can be set between 32-280.
The small construction of the YPT 240 is the result not only of the great, ergonomic and economical design, but also of the fact that it comprises 61 keys (by comparison, grand pianos have a standard of 88 keys and there are many digital keyboards that come with 76 keys). Our article on the number of keys a piano has goes in to a littile more details about the keys options you have. While this feature may be perceived as a con by a master pianist, it is actually a blessing for beginners who are just trying to figure out which key is which.
An aspect frequently mentioned by users as a con is the fact that the package the Yamaha YPT 240 comes in includes nothing but the keyboard itself. If you want to use the YPT 240 with a stand, you will need to purchase the stand separately and the same goes for the batteries, the AC adapter and the headphones as well. If you consider the great price tag, though, you will see that the unit is more than affordable, even after you add the price of the stand and of the other components to the price of the keyboard.
Whether you are beginner piano player, currently in the process of figuring out the instrument or you are an advanced player, the Yamaha YPT 240 will not let you down. Perfect sound quality, lots of features and great learning aids – this is what you get with this versatile, small, portable keyboard that allows you to not only play at home, but also take your instrument with you to parties or even on holidays.
Alan has been a touring musician for many years, having played an array of string instruments. He has a particular love for the sounds of the Ukulele . As well as touring he loves to teach and write about his passion.